Two Centuries in the Heart of Oswego
The Episcopal church dates its presence in Oswego to 1822. The first parish was founded under the guidance of the Rev. Amos Pardee, a missionary priest from Western New York.
The Church of the Resurrection is Oswego's third Episcopal congregation. It was preceded by Christ Church, organized February 26, 1822, in the westside schoolhouse on Oswego’s Franklin Square, and the Church of the Evangelists, organized July 28, 1850, to serve Oswego residents east of the Oswego River. These two merged and formed the Church of the Resurrection in September 1971.
The present-day church retains many tangible ties to this history. Its building occupies the last site of Christ Church and uses its chapel, which opened in 1884. The altar in Resurrection’s chapel originally served in the Church of the Evangelists. Buried in the churchyard are Sarah Pardee Hayden, believed to be the Rev. Pardee’s granddaughter, and her husband, Brig. Gen. Julius Hayden.
The Episcopal church approved the ordination of women to the priesthood in 1976. In 1984 the Rev. Kathleen Adams-Shepherd became the first woman to lead the Church of the Resurrection.
The Episcopal church will celebrate its 200th anniversary in Oswego in 2022.